Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The First Song, Continued ...

~ Stellar Blue Jay ~
(All photos by Karen Wood:
Angel Fire, New Mexico)

We sang love songs to each other,
The birds and I ...

Mine was a lullaby, sweet and low ~
Sung barely above a whisper ...
Perhaps thankful no one heard me,
For what would "they" think ...
This one who sings lullabies aloud
To wild birds?

Moments later ~ or was it hours? ...
From deep within the depths
Of meditation and prayer,
As I poured out heart cries
Unto The Holy One ...

Their reply rode on the wind ~
Straight into my heart.

It was a bird-song anthem
Resounding throughout the forest,
Echoing and reverberating
Into my Soul.

~ Pine Siskin & Nuthatch ~

I had whispered to them a lullaby.
They shouted back to me an anthem!

One after another dropped by on my lap,
As I sat meditatively motionless 'neath a warm woolen blanket,
Holding a stone picked up from the road
In one hand ~
A devotional angel made from stones
In the other.

The birds shouted their Praise Anthem
In coordinated bird songs ~
Blackbirds, mountain chickadees, pine siskins, crows,
Stellar blue jays, hummingbirds, juncos, nuthatches ...


~ Red Winged Blackbird ~

Singing a mighty chorus
That drowned out everything except their
Song of Glory!

My heart leapt with Joy! ~
Utter Joy! at the recognition ...

That we are all held
In the same Lap of The Holy One ~

And all spring from the same Majestic Source
Who Sang the First Song!

~ Dove ~

My song was a soft lullaby ...
Their bird song was a resounding Praise Anthem ...

~ Hummingbird perched in tree ~
They were both
Love Songs ...
A continuation of that
First Song ...


~
~ Hairy Woodpecker ~
Sung to each other ...
And to The Holy One.

~ By Karen Wood

2 comments:

  1. Great bird photos, especially the hummingbird, which is notoriously hard to catch sitting still. Lovely sentiments, too. Nature certainly puts me in a more God-reminding space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I've never commented before, I love reading your wonderful Love Notes to God, Karen. Your words give me that familiar tingle and prove we are all connected through our hearts and The Holy One. The Love that pours from you is multiplied and sent back to you. Peace, Love and Joy to you in all your experiences.

    ReplyDelete